Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories (I’m not making this up, I swear!) have posted the pattern to a beautiful cross-stitch scarf bearing SETI’s Arecibo message that the organization beamed into space on November 16th, 1974.
The message contains:
- The numbers one (1) through ten (10)
- The atomic numbers of the elements hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and phosphorus, which make up deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA)
- The formulas for the sugars and bases in the nucleotides of DNA
- The number of nucleotides in DNA, and a graphic of the double helix structure of DNA
- A graphic figure of a human, the dimension (physical height) of an average man, and the human population of Earth
- A graphic of the Solar System
- A graphic of the Arecibo radio telescope and the dimension (the physical diameter) of the transmitting antenna dish
It’s lovely! The design would also make a great shirt or minister’s stole (if you go to a church like mine). Hopefully some enterprising soul will convert it to a knitting pattern.
Find out more about the Arecibo Message.
PS. If you make this scarf, be sure to send me a picture. I’ll be happy to add it to the (upcoming) photo gallery.